Free Community Radio and DJ Workshop.
Our Community Radio and DJ workshop is FREE developed out of the passion for sharing the power of community radio and passing on radio and DJ knowledge and skills to young individuals aged 11-18. It also is an opportunity to highlight all the potential avenues of employment to learners interested in radio. We deliver our workshop over four weeks for an hour session each Saturday 4 pm – 5 pm
We teach to small groups of up to 6, this is because we feel our course is best delivered to a smaller group to maximize individual attention and devote enough practical work time to each learner.
Our aims are to:
- Introduce learners to the Community Radio Sector, Podcasting and Djing.
- Introduce learners to basic radio production.
- Support learners in developing skills to support them in future employment.
- To assist learners in developing personal, social skills and functional skills.
In this training, learners will develop their skills and raise their confidence in:
- Understanding the history of radio and its relevance today
- The roles and employment opportunities available in radio and DJing
- Development of digital media production skills
- Interviewing and being interviewed
- Radio etiquette
- Producing a show
- Play on DJ equipment and gain DJ knowledge and skills
- Learn to produce your ideal DJ set
- Bring your own music or utilise our library
- Choose the order and songs in your set
- Record yourself and monitor your progress
- Potential to join our Radio Station projects and get asked to play at one of our live showcases
- Free advice on DJ purchase
By the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Identify their strengths and areas they would like to improve.
- Compare and contrast a variety of radio stations, podcasts, programming, target audiences, and presenter styles.
- Understand the difference between community radio and other radio sectors.
- Understand what makes team work well together
- Have some understanding of legal restrictions and broadcasting guidelines
- Use a variety of sources to research program ideas and in future employment
- Plan radio programs using running orders
- Research and plan an interview preparing appropriate questions
- Work in a group to prepare a short radio program
- Plan DJ sets with advanced dj gear and software.
Giving our students evidence of the time they commit and the skills they have gained is written into our mission we present all our kids with certificates on completion of the workshop.
- All our Tutors will be CRB Checked.
Meet the team!
Julia Hanlon – Radio Programs Director and Course Instructor
Raymond Nyenje – Founder – Director Afro*Disiac Live Radio
Beckee White – YEP Director- Coordinator
Pixi J – DJ and Course Instructor
For More Information about our courses please contact:
Tel: 01202 294842